C – After You Have Completed Your Move

Before proceeding, review:

Part A and B outline:

  • updating your budget,
  • tools to analyze the state of the real estate market,
  • spousal and partner employment,
  • children’s education services,
  • Military Family Resource Centers,
  • access to medical care for your family,
  • geographical boundaries,
  • moving benefits and services,
  • tools and information on buying or selling your principal residence, and
  • the Canadian Forces Housing Agency.


After you have completed your move

(*) Once you have completed your move, and if your house at your previous posting remains unsold, you may be eligible for Temporary Dual Residence Assistance (TDRA) for up to six months. As described in Article 8.2.07 Canadian Forces Integrated Relocation Program (CFIRP) Directive, this is contingent on the house being vacant and being promoted actively on the real estate market.

(*) If your closing date is prior to April 19, 2018 and you anticipate an equity loss upon selling your house, the Home Equity Assistance (HEA) benefit may only reimburse 80 per cent of your loss, up to a maximum of $15,000. If your closing date is on or after April 19, 2018, and you anticipate an equity loss upon selling your house, the Home Equity Assistance (HEA) benefit may only reimburse 80 per cent of your loss, up to a maximum of $30,000, subject to Canada Revenue Agency taxation regulations. Discuss this benefit with your service provider before selling your home. You can learn more by reading Article 8.2.13 of the CFIRP Directive.

Talk to your BGRS service provider to find out what is required to finalize your claim. Effective April 1, 2019, all funds due to members are now paid to members by way of electronic fund transfers (EFT). Members can expect their claims to be settled within 15 business days of BGRS having received all required information. For more information on the changes to relocation services, review The Maple Leaf article entitled Know Your Benefits – Improvements coming for CAF relocation services and consult the CANFORGEN 039/19.

The posting allowance is now processed centrally though the CAF pay system. As a result, the posting allowance is taxed at source. Members will have the option of reporting any tax deductible relocation expenses when filing their annual income tax return. You can do this by completing a T1213 Request to Reduce Tax Deductions at Source or submitting a letter to the Canada Revenue Agency. For more information, review Know Your Benefits – Relocation Benefits Update – Administration of Posting Allowance.

Refer to our Office’s webpage on Military Life Events - Important Documents for a list of key documents that should be reviewed regularly and updated whenever your circumstances change, including following a new posting.

Complete your change of address for all important documentation and identification, including health insurance cards for family members.

Finally, if you need to know more about the resources available in your new community, contact your local Military Family Resource Centre (MFRC). You can get information via the Family Information Line (FIL), 24/7 at 1-800-866-4546 (North America), 00-800-771-17722 (international), 1-613-995-5234 (collect calls) or by email at FIL@connexionFAC.ca.


Date modified: