A – Before You Receive Your Posting Instruction

Before proceeding please ensure you reviewed the disclaimer on the main page.


Get ready: update your budget

The SISIP budget sheet is an excellent starting point. Use the completed budget sheet, and consider scheduling a financial counselling session with a SISIP financial advisor by making an appointment on the Internet, or calling 1-800-267-6681. If you are already struggling financially because of the challenges of serving in the Canadian Armed Forces, you or your family can also apply for financial help through Support Our Troops.

Include gains or losses related to Environmental Allowances in your budget. The rates may vary considerably from one posting to another. For example, the Post Living Differential (PLD) Compensation and Benefits Instructions (CBI) 205.45 allowance may not be available where you plan to reside at your new place of duty. Check with your unit or base orderly room staff.

Be aware of the impact of tax rates on your income when you move to another province.

Additional information on taxes can also be found in the Tax implications guide on relocation benefits for military personnel website.

Consider getting a CF One card for access to the Canadian Armed Forces Appreciation Program. You and each member of your family can have one. This official rebate program for the military community may help you reduce some of your daily expense costs.

If your posting involves a move

Under Compensation and Benefits Instructions (CBI) Chapter 208

Refer to Compensation and Benefits Instructions (CBI) Chapter 208, and contact your orderly room staff for more information.

Under the Canadian Forces Integrated Relocation Program (CFIRP)

The CFIRP Directive describes Treasury Board policy on the relocation of dependents and household goods and effects (HG&E) of members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF). Discuss any questions about the CFIRP with your BGRS service provider and CFIRP Coordinator once you receive your posting instruction.

Note: Effective April 19, 2018, relocation benefits now allow service couples the option to split HG&E and to relocate independently when posted to two different places of duty. For more information, speak with your BGRS service provider and review CANFORGEN 126/18.

Military Foreign Service Instructions

If you are moving outside of Canada (OUTCAN), the OUTCAN website provides information on topics including operations, education and training, spousal employment, and the CAF community. The CAF connection website has information on moving to Europe or to the United States.

If you have children, review our Office’s webpage on Children's Education outside Canada and the related screening process.

Preparing for a change of residence

Explore the state of the real estate market. Compare your current house or rental prices with those of your new place of duty. Housing Market Information and Canadian Real Estate Magazine can provide useful information.


Keep in mind the following factors:  

  • Some financial institutions will consider you to be a single income family if your spouse or partner does not have proof of employment at the new place of duty.
  • Comparing house prices on the Canadian Real Estate Association's website may give you an indication of a potential home gain or loss if you sell your home.
  • The Homebuying Tools - Calculators provided by Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) include mortgage, affordability, and debt service calculators.
  • Canadian Defence Community Banking (CDCB) offers exclusive mortgage rates for military members, including portable mortgages and the possibility of a mortgage break without penalty, if you are relocated under the Integrated Relocation Program.


Keep in mind the following factors:

Services and resources available to you and your family

Whether you are single, have a spouse, partner, or child(ren), you can access the Military Family Resource Centers (MFRCs). Services and resources offered include information on schools, special needs, childcare and local jobs, as well as a variety of social and community activities.

Your parents can also access support from Military Family Services (MFS).


Some MFRCs offer activities to better prepare children for a possible move. Check your local MFRC website for more information.

Other websites have tips such as: helpful ideas on how to make a move easier for your children or what to do if your child is upset about your relocation.

MFS has also prepared the following information to help with specific stages in your children’s education:

The Support Our Troops assistance program will also help you and your family face the challenges of military service. 

Notify your child’s school or daycare about your move as soon as possible and request a copy of their school records

Spousal and partner employment

Look for job opportunities under the Help for Employment page of CAF Connection or the Employment Opportunities at Bases/Wings page. You can find information and resources on our Office’s webpage on Military Spousal/Partner Employment. Check with provincial or territorial agencies about Professional Accreditation.

If you are moving outside Canada and the United States, your spouse may not qualify for regular employment insurance. Consult the Employment and Social Development Canada page: Employment Insurance and workers and residents outside Canada. You can also review our Office’s webpage on Employment Insurance available to Military Families.

Medical care

Review the CAF Connection webpage on Access to medical care for military families and our Office’s webpage on Military Families' Access to Health Care for health care services available at your new location.

Ask your current medical care provider for copies of your family’s medical, vaccination, and dental records, as well as any prescriptions. Confirm how to transfer their files to your new care providers.

Other links

Date modified: